(Featured photo of Kim and David McDavid, Jr., Honorary Chairs; Jolie Humphrey and Josey Kennington, Chairs, AWARE Affair Celebrate the Moments – A Modern American Celebration. This photo was taken just before the opening of The Statler – hence the hard hats. Photo by Jeremy Lock.)
Exciting news for AWARE, a Dallas-based charity founded in 1989, that has donated over $12,500,000 toward its mission. AWARE is dedicated to fighting Alzheimer’s disease by providing funding and support to programs, projects, and research provided by nonprofit organizations and public entities that actively help all individuals affected by Alzheimer’s disease in Dallas and the greater north Texas area.
AWARE President Venise Stuart has announced that Jolie Humphrey and Josey Kennington will chair the 2018 AWARE Affair Celebrate the Moments – A Modern American Celebration. Kim and David McDavid, Jr. will serve as honorary chairs. As of October 2017, honorees are: Honoring the memory of Frances B. Chantilis, with her family, Cheryl and Sam Chantilis, M.D.; Stephanie and Bennie Bray; and BvB Dallas.
The event will be held on Friday, April 13, 2018 at The Statler, the newly-renovated, historic hotel. The original Statler Hilton, an iconic building of mid-twentieth century design, was heralded as the first and finest hotel of the modern era and established Dallas as the business and entertainment center of the Southwest.
The newly renovated hotel is the perfect setting for AWARE’s new event format designed to entice party-goers of all ages: a cocktail reception, dancing to favorite tunes spanning the decades, silent auction with select wonderful finds for everyone, and a spirited live auction. Ron Corning is emcee.
Guests will enjoy a three-course seated dinner showcasing gourmet selections by Director of Culinary Events Justo Blanco. Justo, the former Executive Chef and Director of Operations at Bolsa Mercado, heads up the culinary team at The Statler. He has a wealth of knowledge, has been recognized by Dallas Modern Luxury, D Magazine, notables in the culinary world, and he possesses a wealth of culinary and event experience.
More announcements will be made at an invitation-only Kick-Off Party on Monday, December 4 at The Statler’s Bourbon & Banter. For your invitation, details, underwriting and sponsorship opportunities contact Sharon Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org or 214.369.2459, or visit the website at AWAREDallas.org
2018 AWARE Grant Recipients are:
- Baylor Health Care System Foundation – Support for the salary of a Ph.D. Neuropsychology Intern for Baylor AT&T Memory Center.
- Center for BrainHealth – Discovery Group – Support for the Discovery Group, a program designed to help individuals and families affected by Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias focus on preserving abilities and tapping strengths to promote meaningful engagement and slow the progression of the disease.
- Dallas Museum of Art – Memory Moments – Support for teaching honorariums, supplies, and staffing for Memory Moments, a program designed to provide participants with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias ways to engage in art that are revitalizing and gratifying.
- Jewish Family Service – Support for the salary of a Clinical Social Worker to provide independent living services to adults with Alzheimer’s and related dementias and their families/caregivers.
- Juliette Fowler Communities – Support for group and individual therapy sessions with a Certified Music Therapist for memory care residents, and to help purchase additional instruments and therapeutic tools.
- NorthPark Presbyterian Church – Casa de Vida – Support the Casa de Vida program, which gives relief to families/caregivers by providing one-on-one care to individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias at the church for programs involving art, music, games, and lunch one day per week from 9:30 until 1:30.
- Texas Winds Musical Outreach – Support for two concerts by professional musicians in 87 nursing homes and adult daycare facilities that serve individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias.
- Presbyterian Communities & Services Foundation – Broad Strokes– Support for the Broad Strokes program at Grace Presbyterian Village that provides music and art therapy to residents with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias.
- The Senior Source – Senior Companions – Support for the Senior Companion Program matching volunteers with individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias and their families needing assistance with meals, light housekeeping, and companionship.
- UT Southwestern Medical Center – Support to advance Dr. Roger Rosenberg’s research and clinical trials on a DNA Vaccine to clear amyloid plaques in the brain to prevent or slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
- The Myrna D. Schlegel AWARE Scholarship Fund – Recipients are Nora Drutz-Rogney, Baylor University; Lindsay Ross, Texas Christian University.
The Dallas Foundation, a 501(c)(3) publicly supported charity, is the fiscal sponsor of AWARE. For more information please visit the website at AWAREDallas.org
About AWARE: The Dallas Foundation, a 501(c)(3) publicly supported charity, is the fiscal sponsor of AWARE. In partnership with the Foundation, AWARE conducts an annual grant application review process resulting in the selection of the most exemplary nonprofit organizations working on the front lines in the fight against Alzheimer’s disease in Dallas and the North Texas region. AWARE provides funding and support to these outstanding groups that offer services, programs, education, and resources to those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, their families and caregivers, and to organizations doing valuable research to find a prevention and cure. Since its founding in 1989, AWARE has donated over $12,500,000 towards this cause.
About The Statler: The Statler is a modern-day redevelopment of a landmark Dallas hotel set to open in 2017. Opening its doors for the first time in 16 years, The Statler will feature a luxury boutique hotel and residences, with restaurants, nightlife, boutique retail, meeting spaces and a multi-purpose events and concert venue. Encompassing style, status and sophistication, The Statler features 219 luxury residences and 159 hotel rooms. Originally opening as the Statler Hilton in 1956, the hotel was a destination for the elite, attracting the world’s most distinguished dignitaries and celebrities. The Statler, part of Curio – A Collection by Hilton, is the iconic downtown Dallas experience. Visit the website at http://thestatlerdallas.com/
(Sharon Adams, Adams Communications Public Relations, is honored to represent AWARE events and the AWARE Affair Celebrate the Moments – A Modern American Celebration.)