June 9: SocialWhirl Contributing Editor, Jo Ann Holt, to receive Press Club of Dallas Award
Note from Sharon Adams, Founder, Editor and Publisher, SocialWhirl.com:
We are honored to welcome our longtime friend, journalist and public relations expert, Jo Ann Holt, as a contributing editor for SocialWhirl.com. She will be reporting on a variety of topics, all inclusive in our features tabs. We offer our heartfelt congratulations to Jo Ann and all of the award recipients for this prestigious award from the Press Club of Dallas. See the press release below.
(DALLAS, TX – May 22, 2016) – On Thursday, June 9th, more than a dozen legendary North Texas journalists will receive the industry’s prestigious Excellence in Journalism Award recognition, dubbed “North Texas Legends” by the Press Club of Dallas. The 6th annual “Legends” reception and award ceremony will be held at the historic Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza, 411 Elm Street, from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, June 9th.
(Feature photo: “Excellence in Journalism Awards” Judges (From Left to Right): Hugh Aynesworth, Ed Bark and Rena Pederson.)
Tickets are available for purchase at pressclubdallas.com or Eventbrite and are $25 for Press Club members and $30 for non-members.
“The thirteen journalists, nominated by the Press Club membership, are the cream of the crop,“ according to Frank Librio, president of the Press Club of Dallas. “We honor each of these “legends” for their amazing accomplishments and relish the stories of these award-winning journalists.”
2016 Honorees include:
- Norma Adams-Wade, reporter, The Dallas Morning News
- Fil Alvarado, reporter, Fox 4 News
- Sandra Brown, author of 80 books
- Steve Blow, reporter, Dallas Morning News
- David Finfrock, chief meteorologist, NBC5
- Randy Galloway, sports writer, Fort Worth Star Telegram, retired
- Jeff Guinn, author and former editor, Fort Worth Star Telegram
- JoAnn Holt, journalist, The Oak Cliff Tribune, Car Lady News
- Sylvia Komatsu, EVP, , KERA
- John McCaa, anchor/reporter, WFAA-TV Channel 8
- Bob Phillips, reporter/producer Texas Country Reporter
- Mike Rhyner, radio host, The Hardliner
- David Webb, reporter, The Dallas Voice
Returning for a second year as the event emcee, is Kristi Nelson, news anchor for NBC 5. Hugh Aynesworth and Cary Broussard, both Press Club of Dallas Board members, are co-chairs of the June 9th event. Judges included: Ed Bark, Rena Pederson, and Hugh Aynesworth.
The judges are comprised of “Legend” award winners, and veteran Press Club members. Each winner is required to have worked in the Dallas/Ft. Worth region in the news media market for at least ten years, and currently reside in Texas.
Sponsorship packages are available for $250, which includes two tickets to the event and two memberships to the Press Club of Dallas.
Net proceeds from the event will benefit the mission of the Press Club of Dallas providing scholarships for students to Texas colleges and universities and supporting the operations of the Press Club.
Past winners include:
- 2015 winners: Helen Bryant Anders, B.J. Austin, Sam Blair, Becky Munoz-Diaz, Mollie Finch-Belt, Dan Jenkins, David McHam, Bob Mong, Robert Moore, George Riba, Bob Ray Sanders, Brad Sham, Clarice Tinsley.
- 2014 winners: John Anders, Gloria Campos, Iola Johnson, Judy Jordan, John Miller, Scott Murray, Darwin Payne, Walter Robertson, Tracy Rowlett, Cissy Stewart and Bob Welch.
- 2013 winners: Carolyn Barta, Eddie Barker, Kent Biffle, Clarence Bruyere, Alex Burton, Al Carrell, Vivian Castleberry, Ron Chapman, Mike Cochran, Bob Compton, Lee Cullum and Jimmy Darnell.
- 2012 winners: Troy Dungan, Bill Evans, Jim Ewell, Dottie Griffith, John Gudiohnsen, Jim Henderson, Lana Henderson, Bert Holmes, Helen Holmes, Bob Huffaker, Suzy Humphries, Will Jarrett, Shelly Katz, Joe Laird, and Ralph Langer.
- 2011 winners: Jimmy Lovell, Frank Luksa, Phil Magers, Bill Mercer, Bob Miller, Burl Osborne, Rena Pederson, Bob Porter, Bob St. John, Blackie Sherrod, Bert Shipp, Carlton Stowers, Dick Wheeler, Wes Wise, Bobbie Wygant, Tony Zoppi, Hugh Aynesworth and Karen Hughes.
About the Press Club of Dallas
Founded in 1948, the Press Club of Dallas received its charter from the State of Texas in 1951, and throughout the decades has promoted journalistic ideas and ethics. The Press Club of Dallas, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization also awards scholarships to college students in the DFW area pursuing a college degree in the communications field, including print and broadcast journalism, public relations and advertising. Recognizing the expanding definition of media, the Press Club of Dallas has been refreshing its focus this year to better serve the needs of North Texas journalists and professional communicators working today.
About the Sixth Floor Museum
The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza chronicles the assassination and legacy of President John F. Kennedy; interprets the Dealey Plaza National Historic Landmark District and the John F. Kennedy Memorial Plaza; and presents contemporary culture within the context of presidential history.
For more information contact:
Broussard Global Communications
972-971-4397 or 973-216-4283