Patron Party for AWARE Affair Celebrate the Moments – A Modern American Evening
AWARE AFFAIR Celebrate the Moments – A Modern American Evening
Fighting Alzheimer’s Since 1989
Jolie Humphrey and Josey Kennington, Chairs | Kim and David McDavid, Jr., Honorary Chairs
Venise Stuart, President, AWARE
(Featured photo: Clark and Josey Kennington; Jeremy Lock and D’Andra Simmons Lock; Bart and Jolie Humphrey; Kim and David McDavid, Jr.)*
April 2018: The Patron Party for AWARE’s Aware Affair Celebrate the Moments – A Modern American Evening, was graciously hosted by D’Andra Simmons Lock and Jeremy Lock in their lovely Highland Park home. AWARE is a Dallas-based charity founded in 1989, that has donated over $12,500,000 toward its mission. AWARE is dedicated to fighting Alzheimer’s disease by providing funding and support to programs, projects, and research provided by nonprofit organizations and public entities that actively help all individuals affected by Alzheimer’s disease in Dallas and the greater north Texas area.
Joining in the celebration were gala chairs Jolie Humphrey and Josey Kennington, Honorary Chairs Kim and David McDavid, Jr. Ron Corning emceed the evening and introduced Stacey Angel, who announced honorees Honoring the memory of Frances B. Chantilis, with her family, Cheryl and Sam Chantilis, M.D.; Stephanie and Bennie Bray; and BvB Dallas.
2018 AWARE Grant Recipients are:
- Baylor Health Care System Foundation – Support for the salary of a Ph.D. Neuropsychology Intern for Baylor AT&T Memory Center.
- Center for BrainHealth – Discovery Group – Support for the Discovery Group, a program designed to help individuals and families affected by Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias focus on preserving abilities and tapping strengths to promote meaningful engagement and slow the progression of the disease.
- Dallas Museum of Art – Memory Moments – Support for teaching honorariums, supplies, and staffing for Memory Moments, a program designed to provide participants with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias ways to engage in art that are revitalizing and gratifying.
- Jewish Family Service – Support for the salary of a Clinical Social Worker to provide independent living services to adults with Alzheimer’s and related dementias and their families/caregivers.
- Juliette Fowler Communities – Support for group and individual therapy sessions with a Certified Music Therapist for memory care residents, and to help purchase additional instruments and therapeutic tools.
- NorthPark Presbyterian Church – Casa de Vida – Support the Casa de Vida program, which gives relief to families/caregivers by providing one-on-one care to individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias at the church for programs involving art, music, games, and lunch one day per week from 9:30 until 1:30.
- Texas Winds Musical Outreach – Support for two concerts by professional musicians in 87 nursing homes and adult daycare facilities that serve individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias.
- Presbyterian Communities & Services Foundation – Broad Strokes – Support for the Broad Strokes program at Grace Presbyterian Village that provides music and art therapy to residents with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias.
- The Senior Source – Senior Companions – Support for the Senior Companion Program matching volunteers with individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias and their families needing assistance with meals, light housekeeping, and companionship.
- UT Southwestern Medical Center – Support to advance Dr. Roger Rosenberg’s research and clinical trials on a DNA Vaccine to clear amyloid plaques in the brain to prevent or slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
- The Myrna D. Schlegel AWARE Scholarship Fund – Recipients are Nora Drutz-Rogney, Baylor University; Lindsay Ross, Texas Christian University.
Media Sponsors are PaperCity Magazine, The Park Cities News/The Waters Family, MySweetCharity, and Downtown Business News.
The Dallas Foundation, a 501(c)(3) publicly supported charity, is the fiscal sponsor of AWARE. For more information please visit the website at AWAREDallas.org
About AWARE: The Dallas Foundation, a 501(c)(3) publicly supported charity, is the fiscal sponsor of AWARE. In partnership with the Foundation, AWARE conducts an annual grant application review process resulting in the selection of the most exemplary nonprofit organizations working on the front lines in the fight against Alzheimer’s disease in Dallas and the North Texas region. AWARE provides funding and support to these outstanding groups that offer services, programs, education, and resources to those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, their families and caregivers, and to organizations doing valuable research to find a prevention and cure. Since its founding in 1989, AWARE has donated over $12,500,000 towards this cause.
* Photos by Matthew Shelly.
Sharon Adams, Adams Communications Public Relations, is honored to represent AWARE.